A year of pescetarian parenting and related discoveries.

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10

Lobster Burgers

      This post is to follow up on a previous one about getting the grill out and alternative burgers. I live just minutes away from the Atlantic Ocean and I have been eating lobster all of my life. On a hot summer day a lobster roll is a lovely thing. But I have never had a lobster burger. I have never seen a lobster burger. While visiting other blogs this week I came across a couple of recipes for such a thing that were created by restaurant chefs, and I wanted to share them. I'm a bit torn between the two, they are rather different, and each has a special homemade mayo that sounds delightful. I can't decide if I'm going to try both or merge them into one new one that appeals to me. Either way, it is definitely something I am going to plan for a special occaision dinner on the deck ... soon ... still too cold and windy this weekend and still too much yard work to tend to first, but think summer.

http://www.savory.tv/2008/08/04/lobster-burgers/comment-page-1/#comment-9442

 Lobster Burgers for 4

By Chef Michel Richard of Citronelle via washingtonian.com

4 lobsters (1 pound each)
1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 pound scallops
2 tablespoons milk
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon peeled and grated ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
4 brioche buns

Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Set the tomato slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with garlic and sugar, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes and cool.
When the water is boiling, cook the lobsters for 5 minutes. Transfer to cold water. When the lobsters are cool, remove meat from the claws, legs, knuckles, and tail. Cut the meat into large pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
In a food processor, puree the scallops for a few seconds until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons of milk. Fold the scallop mixture into the lobster meat. Season with salt and pepper. Mold into 4 lightly packed patties and keep cold.
In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, soy sauce, and ginger.
In a pan over medium heat, sautee the patties in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.
Split the buns and sprinkle with the remaining olive oil. Lightly toast. Serve the burgers with a slice of tomato and the ginger mayonnaise.

      My daughter especially, though even she loves lobster, would like us all reminded this is what they really look like in their natural habitat;



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing on www.aspicyperspective.com! The lobster burgers sound incredible. I LOVE lobster, but have actually never cooked one because I hate the idea of killing them! Hypocrite...I know!

    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sommer, it is hard to kill them. There is much debate about if they feel pain or not. I'm not sure. Sometimes I buy fresh lobster meat from my fish monger.

    ReplyDelete