A year of pescetarian parenting and related discoveries.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7

Super Bowl Salad

     Here's what I whipped up today. Though I didn't watch the game, I wanted to make this for my family, and it really is enough to feed a crowd. First I made a small batch of guacamole (just one avocado). I love making guac with my old wooden stomper. I like to teach the kids that it's a sin to use electricity to do simple things you can do by hand just as well.
     Then I layered in a rectangular baking dish in this order; 1 can of refried beans, 1 jar corn and black bean salsa, a handful of chopped onions, the guacamole, a small container of sour cream mixed with one tablespoon chipolte ranch dressing, a few ounces shredded cheddar and jack cheeses, and a handful of chopped fresh cilantro. This dip was warmed in the oven at 350.While in a large platter I layered a tossed salad of chopped onion, 2 types of lettuce, a handful of broccoli sprouts, a chopped tomato, and some more cilantro, and a generous layer of tortilla chips. When the dip was warm and melty, I took it out of the oven and slid the warm dip on top of the cold salad.
     Makes a fine meal or a special snack. You don't have to wait for a game of violence, any old special occaision will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment