A year of pescetarian parenting and related discoveries.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9

Japanoodles with Greens and Fiesta Chili with Cornbread Topping

     Japanoodles with Greens  I bet my kids will go for this meal based just on the name alone. But seriously, it does sound both good and easy and I'm going to try it this week. Don't have rice noodles on hand. This is the second time I have chosen a recipe featured by The Plant Based Dietician, Julieanna Hever. I clearly like the way she cooks. I was especially excited to see that this one calls for seaweed gomasio which is one of my go-to condiments that I use in cooking constantly, in place of salt in most cases. The recipe is from the offerings at Meatless Mondays this week. Check out their site for more great ideas.

     Here is the recipe for the Vegetarian Chili I made last week that the carnivore men were raving about. It was quite tasty and I have a feeling that the chopped portabello mushrooms give vegetarian meals a beefy feel that meatlovers enjoy. I started this one from Nigella Lawson's recipe but changed it in quite a few ways. One was a change from red to white lentils which worked out just fine. A couple of things that I added were simply because I had them on hand and needed to use them up. Don't be afraid to play around with the recipe.

Fiesta Chili With Cornbread Topping


2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large red peppper, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1.5 C lentils
3 C tomato puree
1/2 C tomato paste
1 bottle beer
1 can red kidney beans
1/2 can black beans
1/2 C pumpkin puree
1/2 jar corn salsa
1 large port. mushroom, chopped
1 handful chopped fresh cilantro and parsley
1 t. coriander
1 t. cumin
2 t. chili flakes
1/4 t. pepper




     Saute onion and garlic in olive oil til soft then begin adding other ingredients, stirring each in gently. This lively blend of colors inspired the name of the dish. Simmer awhile while preparing your favorite cornbread recipe. (I used 2 boxes of Jiffy mix). Spread batter over top of chili in casserole dish. Sprinkle with shredded mexican cheese if desired. Bake til cornbread is golden. Serve with more fesh cilantro, guac and sour cream or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment