A year of pescetarian parenting and related discoveries.

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11

Best Ever Beet Salad

     I'm writing to you from my brand new laptop - back in business!


     Well, you remember those beautiful beets I wrote about last time, when I was using just the greens? I promised something amazing was coming with root of the plant, the beets, and here it is (finally)...


     I readily admit that I love a well designed salad. When a really well chosen bevy of tastes come together and surprise your palate in an unexpected way, and it is all good for your body to boot! I have to say that this Beet Salad was one of the most delicious salads I have ever had. Honestly. Even leftovers the next day tasted great which is generally not possible with salad at all. Please do yourself a favor and try this one. Even if you are not a fan of beets, try it, with the freshest beets you can find. I double dog dare you to not like it.

Here is the recipe;

          Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Candied Walnuts, and Dressing 

For the citrus dressing:
1/2 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Whisk all ingredients together.
For the salad:
1/2 pound medium beets, trimmed and scrubbed
1 large bunch fresh spinach
4 ounces fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup candied walnuts ( I roasted mine in maple syrup)
For the salad:
  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap washed beets individually in aluminum foil. Place the foil packets on a baking sheet and bake until the tip of a sharp knife easily slides through the beets, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Halve each beet, then slice into bite sizes.
  Layer washed and dried spinach on platter, followed by beet slices, and then crumbled cheese and nuts. Pour dressing on top just before serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment