This pasta salad started with tri-colored pasta, and lots of fresh green herbs. Veggies mixed in included corn, carrots, red and green peppers, and then it was lightly dressed.
|A Colorful Pasta Salad|
Veggie sticks and yogurt based dip
Pump Up Your Plate With Color
Scientists report that a diet rich in fruits and vegetable can help:
- Lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Reduce risk of certain types of cancer
- Reduce the risk of birth defects
- Lower risk of developing cataracts
- Improve memory function
- Improve immune function
- Protect cells from damage
- Lose weight and maintain loss
Eat fruits and vegetables from the color spectrum, including:
- Red (colored by lycopene and anthocyanins) Tomatoes, beets, radishes, red potatoes, red peppers, red cabbage watermelon, guava, strawberries, raspberries, pink grapefruit cherries, red apples, red grapes, rhubarb.
- Orange/Yellow (colored by cartenoids like beta carotene) Apricots, cantaloupe, peaches, pineapple, mangoes, pears, yellow apples, papayas, yellow & winter squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, yellow peppers, sweet corn.
- Green (colored by chlorophyll, indoles, lutein, zeaxanthin) Avocado, leafy greens, spinach, artichokes, green beans, cucumbers, peas, Zucchini with skin, broccoli, Bok Choy, green peppers, kiwi, green grapes, Honeydew melon.
- Blue/Purple (colored by anthocyanins) Blueberries, plums, prunes, raisins, purple grapes, eggplant with skin.
- White (colored by anthxanthins) Bananas, cauliflower, garlic, mushrooms, onions, jicima, white potatoes.